Traditionally the bride’s sister or her best friend, the chief bridesmaid needs to be someone who is unflappable, organised and there to provide a shoulder to cry on during the ups and downs of planning a wedding.
Her main duties include:
- Supporting the bride at all times, listening to the moans and mopping up any tears.
- Providing a helping hand with whatever jobs need doing.
- Acting as a shopping partner on trips to find the bride’s dress and the bridesmaid’s outfits.
- Organising a suitably amazing hen night.
- Making sure all the other bridesmaids are dressed properly and know their duties.
- Helping the bride to dress on the big day.
- Following the bride down the aisle and generally making sure she looks gorgeous at all times.
- Standing in the receiving line, if there is one.
- Mingling with guests and making sure everyone is having a good time.
- Helping the bride to change, if she’s leaving the reception, and arranging for her dress and any gifts to be taken home.